Arist Statement

My wall installations, drawings, and printed matter are an exploration of illusionistic space and the relationship between humans and our environment, humans and the domestic cat, and between each other. These curiosities manifest themselves in the act of drawing; the main motifs being two portraits gazing at each other, figures gazing at a distant horizon, acts of humor or transmission amongst figures within the setting of a vast desert landscape. I view drawing as a way of thinking, a way of translating my daily life and observations from this world into an alternate surreal and more often than not a funny reflection of my reality. The distant desert horizon and the vastness of space created with drawing and print enables the figures to be pronounced in their actions and speech. They tower over the horizon with expressions of worry, disdain, happiness, which reveals my concern for our current human situation. The portraits allow me to direct the drama in the composition and my critique of contemporary culture.